I'm sure you're wondering...is my dad some crazy dictator-like training machine? Kind of. Minus "dictator-like" part. I'd hate to make him sound mean. My dad, Lary (I call him by his first name far too often) has pretty much been my coach since I started high school. This year at SMC he actually became my coach for real. He's now the assistant nordic ski coach at St. Mike's.
The reaction I get from a lot of people when they find out is "Oh my God. I'm sorry, that must be awful." People assume that he's worked his way into my school-life, making the leap from my separate home-life. False. When he was first asked to coach pretty much everyone involved in the decision-making process checked in with me. First my dad himself, later on, my coach, Joe, and then finally, the AD Zaf. (SIDENOTE: If you're at SMC and you ever wander into Ross you should do your very best to meet Zaf. I promise you, he'll have at least 3 jokes so awful that they're great ready and waiting for any topic you might talk about. You don't have a choice but to love it.) Anyway, everyone thought I'd be hesitant for my dad to coach me, but I was all for it. The man's crazy in shape at all times and I trust him more than anyone with my skis and training.
He's been a crazy athlete pretty much forever. Back in the day he raced XC and nordic at Johnson State as well as road biking on his own. He's got the most ridiculous will-power. I seriously don't think he feels pain. He's the only person I know that's so insanely competitive Other than my brother (seen in the pic), who quite obviously gets it from Lar-Bear.
So, since I've been home I've been training much more than I would have started out training at school. For the first few days I kind of ran on my own, went to a weight class at Duke's, my fave local gym, and ran with my aunt, Becky. All of a sudden it got kind of intense when dad started throwing out workout ideas.
Friday I went to get my brother from Burke to bring him home for prom at our old high school. While there I hiked the mountain, showing myself just how out of shape I am.
Sunday I ran the Run for Jim, a 5k for cancer patients in honor of Jim Bashaw, who passed away about a decade ago. As if throwing myself into a 5k wasn't hard enough, I ran 8 miles with Becky back to her house after awards.
Yesterday was a much needed day off.
Today I'm planning on doing intervals and core with my dad in a little bit. It will hurt. I promise.
It feels good to get back into shape. I'm pretty motivated at the moment, so I'm hoping I can keep things moving. We'll see how it goes when I start at TP. Hopefully, I can find a happy balance between my training and my TP social life. For now, it's back putting Ke$ha on repeat and cleaning this room of mine.
You crazy athlete...
ReplyDelete